Monday, March 16, 2009

Affection

A common misconception about autistic children is that they don't feel the same affection or attachment as typically-developing children do. This has never been the case with Joshua nor with any of the other autistic children we know. Josh's special education teacher suggested the other day that perhaps in some cases the opposite of the stereotype is true, that autistic children, with their heightened sensitivities, feel "too much." I don't know for certain but tonight after family prayer, Jason and I were giving the kids kisses before taking them upstairs to bed. Jason usually carries Josh up while I carry Jane. As we headed upstairs, Josh turned to Jason and planted a spontaneous kiss on his cheek. I could tell Jason was pleased by the way he said, "Thanks, Pal!" happily to Josh. I was delighted and little sad that I wasn't the one getting the "free" kiss. I ask Josh for kisses all day long which for the most part he obliges me with. I rejoice in Joshua's capacity for pure love and affection. Truly he is a gift from God.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Megan got a kiss tonight. Isn't Josh doing great!

Jason